- This event has passed.
Chase Motivation & Impulse Control Workshop
January 26 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm£85
Does your dog love to chase? Are you worried about them leaving you? Or even worse worrying livestock, chasing joggers, cyclists, cars, dogs…anything that moves? Have they ‘disappeared’ while you panicked and wondered if they would come back?
Having your dog chase can be a truly frightening experience and once it has happened your relationship is damaged…your trust in your dog has been lost!
If you lose faith in your dog’s recall, it can restrict your dog’s freedom, limiting you to ‘safe’, on-lead walks.
Chase behaviour is in our dogs DNA, it’s completely normal and our dogs love it! They get a huge hit of reinforcement from it!
Understanding why dogs chase is so important to your long term relationship with your dog and in knowing how to turn that chase drive into a desire to choose you over anything and everything else. At this workshop you will learn exactly how to switch from chase to focus for you through the power of awesome games! This workshop will arm you with the tools to help your dog develop a crazy drive for you and will help you understand what your dog desires and how to use that desire to conquer chase!
All levels of dog and handler are welcome.
Come and get inspired!
Please bring to the workshop:
- bed (we recommend a raised bed)
- a harness and flat collar
- double ended lead
- training treats – we recommend you use your dog’s regular meals but if you need something higher value we suggest dried or hard food making sure that nothing is left on the astro turf
- a notepad and pen
- please dress for the weather
- the session will start with dogs in vehicles
You can find a checklist of what we suggest you bring with you by following this link.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for useful information on attending training with Devon Dogs.
Please be aware that you may experience difficulties making a payment if you are using a mobile device.
Astro Turf Rules
From January 2019, Devon Dogs will be using a new state-of-the-art astro turf flooring within our training arena.
To keep this fantastic improvement of the Devon Dogs training facilities at its very, very best for the benefit of all of us, we need to follow some super simple rules:
- Outdoor shoes are not to be used in the arena – please bring some indoor shoes to change into.
- Please make sure your dog is dry and clean before entering the arena, particularly their paws. Please also clean off any toys before use.
- Please make sure your dog has toileted outside the arena before entering.
- Please ensure you bring a crate or raised bed, placed on a blanket to catch any missed training treats.