Positive Gun Dog Training
February 3 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£100
Do you want a better behaved dog when out and about? Would you like your dog to have an amazing retrieve, super obedience and to be more reliable both on and off lead when out on a walk or in the ‘field’? Or are you looking curious and looking to learn more about gundog training using purely positive methods?
We have the perfect workshop for you! This workshop will give you and your dog GOLD foundation gundog skills that can be used on a shoot and in the working world or they will transfer easily to everyday life! We will cover:
- Recall – using a whistle for control
- Strong sit and positions
- Retrieves – basic to more complex
- Loose lead and off lead walking
- Bravery, grit and confidence
- Fitness and health Self control…leave it!
Please bring to the workshop:
- a harness (front and back clips) and flat collar
- double ended lead
- training treats – we recommend you use your dog’s regular meals but if you need something higher value we suggest dried or hard food making sure that nothing is left on the astro turf
- a whistle if you have one (but don’t worry if not)
- a raised bed if you have one (but don’t worry if not)
- a clicker if you have one (but don’t worry if not)
- a notepad and pen
- please dress for the weather, where possible we will work outside
- you may wish to bring a packed lunch.
We are looking forward to having you train with us! To help us ensure you have the best possible training experience, please arrive at the time specified. Devon Dogs is a Centre of Excellence training facility and we want to ensure all class change overs are smooth and easy. For this reason, can you please ensure you and your dog remain in your vehicle until the trainer is present and ready for you.
We understand it is difficult to guess arrival times and we know you will have planned for the unexpected in your journey! Should you arrive a little early we recommend stopping at the Shell Services just off of the A30, only half a mile away from us. There is a Little Waitrose with tea/coffee and lots of healthy (or not so healthy!) snacks and prepared meals as well as toilet facilities. If you wish to go for a short walk, you can access the Granite Way in Sourton
You can find a checklist of what we suggest you bring with you by following this link.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for useful information on attending training with Devon Dogs.
Please be aware that you may experience difficulties making a payment if you are using a mobile device.
Astro Turf Rules
From January 2019, Devon Dogs will be using a new state-of-the-art astro turf flooring within our training arena.
To keep this fantastic improvement of the Devon Dogs training facilities at its very, very best for the benefit of all of us, we need to follow some super simple rules:
- Outdoor shoes are not to be used in the arena – please bring some indoor shoes to change into.
- Please make sure your dog is dry and clean before entering the arena, particularly their paws. Please also clean off any toys before use.
- Please make sure your dog has toileted outside the arena before entering.
- Please ensure you bring a crate or raised bed, placed on a blanket to catch any missed training treats.